site hit counter

[KEZ]⇒ PDF Gratis 300 Frank Miller Lynn Varley 8601400559048 Books

300 Frank Miller Lynn Varley 8601400559048 Books



Download As PDF : 300 Frank Miller Lynn Varley 8601400559048 Books

Download PDF 300 Frank Miller Lynn Varley 8601400559048 Books


300 Frank Miller Lynn Varley 8601400559048 Books

I actually saw pages of the book before watching the movie, years ago. I was very enthusiastic about the movie 300, but not very much into the comic. It seemed sloppy and silly to me. But now I can fully appreciate owning a copy, as the art is really amazing! In fact, I can't stress enough how much I am crazy about the 300 comic!! The actual book is far larger than I anticipated, and the 2-page spreads blow my mind to the sky and back, especially from the book's size. Although I didn't realize how great his style and technique was when I was younger, Frank Miller is a comic book genius and a giant of an artist in my mind, whose art I can never get enough of. Frank Miller's 300 is a true treasure!!!

Read 300 Frank Miller Lynn Varley 8601400559048 Books

Tags : 300 [Frank Miller, Lynn Varley] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. The armies of Persia—a vast horde greater than any the world has ever known—are poised to crush Greece,Frank Miller, Lynn Varley,300,Dark Horse Books,1569714029,Media Tie-In,Comic books, strips, etc,Graphic novels.,Greece - History - Persian Wars, 500-449 B.C,Greece;History;Persian Wars, 500-449 B.C.;Comic books, strips, etc.,Leonidas,Thermopylae, Battle of, 480 B.C,War,Xerxes,-480 B.C.,519 B.C.-465 B.C. or 464 B.C.,COMICS & GRAPHIC NOVELS Historical Fiction,COMICS & GRAPHIC NOVELS Literary,COMICS & GRAPHIC NOVELS Media Tie-In,Comics & Graphic Novels,Comics & Graphic Novels General,Fiction,Fiction-Graphic Novels,General Adult,Graphic novels,Greece,Historical fiction,History,I,,King of Persia,,King of Sparta,,Leonidas,Leonidas,,Media Tie-In,Persian Wars, 500-449 B.C.,Thermopylae, Battle of, 480 B.C,War,Xerxes,comics;geek;graphic novels for adults;graphic novels;historical fiction;comic books;graphic novel;geek gifts;nerd;graphic novels for kids 12-15;comic book;nerd gifts;graphic novels for teens;comics and graphic novels;gifts for comic book fans;comic book gifts;gifts for comic book lovers;comic gifts;steampunk;classic;comic;mythology;mystery;alternate history;movies;adventure;thriller;art;crime;historical;samurai;cinema;film;reference;dark horse;supernatural;sci-fi;ronin;pulp fiction;vampire,graphic novel; comics; comic; historical; mythology; graphic novels for adults; sci-fi; alternate history; adventure; graphic novels; historical fiction; comic books; graphic novels for kids 12-15; geek gifts; graphic novels for teens; comic book; geek; nerd; nerd gifts; gifts for comic book lovers; gifts for comic book fans; comic gifts; comic book gifts; samurai; conan; steampunk; classic; dark horse; art; assassin; star wars; graphic; ronin; epic; action; sword and sorcery; adaptation; swords; superhero; japanese; frazetta,COMICS & GRAPHIC NOVELS Historical Fiction,COMICS & GRAPHIC NOVELS Literary,COMICS & GRAPHIC NOVELS Media Tie-In,Comics & Graphic Novels General,-480 B.C.,519 B.C.-465 B.C. or 464 B.C.,Greece,History,I,,King of Persia,,King of Sparta,,Leonidas,,Persian Wars, 500-449 B.C.,Comics & Graphic Novels,Fiction,Graphic novels,Historical fiction

300 Frank Miller Lynn Varley 8601400559048 Books Reviews


Although the differences are sometimes difficult to articulate, there really IS a distinction between a comic and a graphic novel. Frank Miller's 300 falls squarely in the former category. As in all comics (here's one of those differences), the plot is simple and the message is straightforward. Miller is intent on depicting and applauding the heroics of military sacrifice exemplified in the stand of Leonidas and his 300 Spartans at Thermopylae, the "hot gateway." His narrative and dialogue are minimalistic and punch home a few key words "honor," "justice," "law," "strength," "courage." So far as I can tell, there are only three women in the entire story--Leonidas' wife, an oracle, and a slave girl in the market place--and their presence is fleeting and inessential. The story is relentlessly masculine and a glorification of the masculine art of war.

Morally disconcerting as the butchery depicted by Frank Miller is, there really is something stirring about his re-telling of the Themopylae story. Clearly both the story of courageous sacrifice and his rendering of it touch deep responsive chords. Miller's artwork is superb, impressionistic and subtle at times, hard-lined and deliberately brutal at others. The observant eye can discover visual tricks--drawn connotations, as it were--that enhance the story. Just one marvelous example at one point, Leonidas consults the ephors, corrupt priests of the "old gods" who demand gold for their advice. The ephors keep young maidens as oracles, and the clear implication is that they sexually abuse them. In painting the maiden oracle, Miller has scattered fingerprints across her body--actual ones, from the looks of them--which are so skillfully worked into the overall composition that one doesn't immediately see them for what they are. Brilliant!

Highly recommended.
As a collection of the original comics, 300 is much better read in one sitting than reading the individual comics on a monthly schedule (which is what I did eight years ago). This book first achieved phenomenal success after its release as a single graphic novel (or hardcover trade, or whatever, I'm not going to argue terminology here) simply because after one issue you become so restless you just have to read the next one. That's why I enjoyed it much more in its current format; collecting the issues was a chore because Miller makes it so compulsively readable and the interim between issues killed me. The art is breathtaking, the writing appropriate, and the coloring by Liz Varley is brilliantly done. A lot of criticism has been directed toward this hardcover, chief among these being the fact that it is not historically accurate and that it is an excercise in racism while simultaneously objectifying women. Since I loved this comic, I respectfully disagree with all these arguments. Just look at the characterization of the Spartan Queen, done in only a handful of panels, which show that Miller did devote time and thought to what kind of people Spartan women were to survive in such a warlike society. This book is about soldiers, above all else, and during that time soldiers were men who protected their families at the cost of their own lives. The slave-oracle of the Ephors is a device Miller uses to highlight the lecherous and corrupt natures of these so-called holy men, but it is not intended to objectify women (and I meant no offense by calling the girl a 'device.') Miller definitely did not plan to espouse any racist views either; he simply conceived a cosmopolitan Persian army consisting of dozens of conquered nations and hundreds of tribes as a disorganized force unable to match the dicipline of the Spartans who received identical training in war. Authorial intent is what we must consider when reading 300 which uses Greece in 480 B.C as its setting, so it is not meant to comment on current issues in society, but issues that, according to historical speculation, were common at the time. I enjoyed this book because I was looking for a beautifully-drawn, action packed read, and this is exactly what I found. Recommended to all Frank Miller fans and artists starting out in the comics medium.
Due to the larger than usual for a comic page layout, you loose a lot viewing the version of 300. The pages are too wide to present the art work large enough to read the dialogue. And while you can double click the page to enlarge the individual panels enough so that the words are legible, you loose the impact of the full page layout. Turning the sideways sort of helps, but not enoght. Sort of thought that might happen, disappointed that it did.
I actually saw pages of the book before watching the movie, years ago. I was very enthusiastic about the movie 300, but not very much into the comic. It seemed sloppy and silly to me. But now I can fully appreciate owning a copy, as the art is really amazing! In fact, I can't stress enough how much I am crazy about the 300 comic!! The actual book is far larger than I anticipated, and the 2-page spreads blow my mind to the sky and back, especially from the book's size. Although I didn't realize how great his style and technique was when I was younger, Frank Miller is a comic book genius and a giant of an artist in my mind, whose art I can never get enough of. Frank Miller's 300 is a true treasure!!!
Ebook PDF 300 Frank Miller Lynn Varley 8601400559048 Books

0 Response to "[KEZ]⇒ PDF Gratis 300 Frank Miller Lynn Varley 8601400559048 Books"

Post a Comment