The Bridge in the Jungle Jungle Novels B Traven 9781566630634 Books

The Bridge in the Jungle Jungle Novels B Traven 9781566630634 Books
Not what I expected. It wasn't an adventure like Death Ship or Treasure of the Sierra Madre. The entire novel is mostly centered around one chain fo events: the disappearance, search for, discovery, funeral and burial of a child. The focus is on the lives of poor Mexican peasants, their ways and beliefs. Each short chapter describes a particular stage in this series of events. It reminded me of the "stations of the cross" in Catholic churches. Traven is an advocate for the downtrodden and his politics are on display in everything of his that I've read. Sometimes this can be a distraction. There is one chapter where events seemed a bit confused. I wondered whether this was an editing or translation issue.
Tags : The Bridge in the Jungle (Jungle Novels) [B. Traven] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. The locale is huts by the river, a nameless Indian settlement deep in the Mexican bush, too small to appear on any map. Just as a party that has attracted many Indians from neighboring settlements is about to begin,B. Traven,The Bridge in the Jungle (Jungle Novels),Ivan R. Dee,1566630630,Action & Adventure,Indians of North America - Mexico - Fiction,Indians of North America;Mexico;Fiction.,Mexico - Fiction,Missing children - Fiction,Missing children;Fiction.,Villages - Fiction,Villages;Fiction.,FICTION Action & Adventure,FICTION Literary,Fiction,Fiction - General,Fiction-ActionAdventure,Fiction-Coming of Age,Fiction: Action & Adventure,Fiction: General,Fiction: Literary,GENERAL,Indians of North America,Literary,Mexico,Missing children,Modern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945),Modern fiction,ScholarlyUndergraduate,TRAVEN, B. - PROSE & CRITICISM,United States,Villages,Villages - Fiction,Villages;Fiction.,FIC000000,FIC019000,FICTION Action & Adventure,Fiction General,Fiction Literary,Fiction: Action & Adventure,Fiction: General,Fiction: Literary,Literary,Fiction - General,Indians of North America,Mexico,Missing children,Villages,Traven, B. - Prose & Criticism,Fiction,Modern & contemporary fiction (post c 1945),Modern fiction
The Bridge in the Jungle Jungle Novels B Traven 9781566630634 Books Reviews
Quite a good book by Ret Marut or Otto Feige (commonly known as B. Traven), a German, who adopted Mexico as his homeland.
This one has some lovely perspectives on death, maternity and jungle life.
Also recommended
Death In That Garden by Jose Andre LACOUR
Banco the Further Adventures of Papillon by Henri Charriere
I confess that I am a major afficionado of B. Traven. My politics have mellowed over the years but I enjoy Traven's political perspective. I believe B. Traven was an ararchist at heart. He attacked big government and big business as evil but saw the uncorrupted individual as nobel and good. In the rural Mexican Indian community he found, for himself, the most ideal form of government he had ever encountered. His Jungle Books were a tale of conflict between good and evil; peasant and capitalism. His book, The Bridge in the Jungle, is his ode to the Indian peasant community. He brings us into their midst throught his vagabond American who stumbles upon a small village at the time a tragedy is unfolding. A young boy has drowned and we witness their suffering and their coming together. We see the corruption of their society by misunderstood influences from the outside world. The example I remember best is the musician who, when asked to play something during the funeral march, comes up with "Yes We have no Bananas". Neither the musician nor anyone else except our American narrator comprehends the total inappropriateness of the song. All in all, a beautiful story of a disappearing society.
Quite a good book by Ret Marut or Otto Feige (commonly known as B. Traven), a German, who adopted Mexico as his homeland.
This one has some lovely perspectives on death, maternity and jungle life.
Also recommended
The Putumayo The Devil's Paradise by Walter Hardenburg
Death In That Garden by Jose Andre LACOUR
Banco the Further Adventures of Papillon by Henri Charriere
THE RIVER THAT GOD FORGOT by Richard COLLIER
Amazing writing of a beautiful story.
This has got to be one of the great novels of our age. I have now read it a few times s over the years. it remains fresh, alive and always amazingly moving.
Bruno verbally describes the quasi-spiritual manner of being of the jungle people in the depths of the Mexican back lands. A slow read that eventually discloses the quiet, deep spirit of the surviving poor . A noble read!
This book is an easy read, rather short and flows along. Very interesting subject that is treated in depth. I chose this book because of a trusted friends recommendation. I also chose it because I like Mexico. Although fiction it is actually about real culture and traditions. I felt like I was there - not like a fast paced, long chase scene movie. LOL but kept my interest. I still think about it months after reading it.
I would recommend to anyone who is interested in other cultures and traditions.
Not what I expected. It wasn't an adventure like Death Ship or Treasure of the Sierra Madre. The entire novel is mostly centered around one chain fo events the disappearance, search for, discovery, funeral and burial of a child. The focus is on the lives of poor Mexican peasants, their ways and beliefs. Each short chapter describes a particular stage in this series of events. It reminded me of the "stations of the cross" in Catholic churches. Traven is an advocate for the downtrodden and his politics are on display in everything of his that I've read. Sometimes this can be a distraction. There is one chapter where events seemed a bit confused. I wondered whether this was an editing or translation issue.

0 Response to "[APB]⇒ Read Free The Bridge in the Jungle Jungle Novels B Traven 9781566630634 Books"
Post a Comment